Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Slash-and-Burn Complete!

Earlier today, I finished deleting the fluff in my novel.  The manuscript is now down to 198 pages.  Now I am going to take some time away from it so that I can look at the book with fresh eyes.  Meanwhile, I will edit shorter works of fiction. 

I don't want to cut corners in the revision of this novel for one reason: "Catching Fire." I read and enjoyed "The Hunger Games" trilogy, my particular favorite being "Mockingjay."  That being said, there were many scenes in "Catching Fire" that should have been edited out before it hit the shelves.  (Warning: Possible Spoilers)

In particular, Johanna Mason and Finnick Odair deserved better introductions than they got.  In addition, the Quarter Quell that Haymitch partook in needed to be completely rethought.  I found it so ridiculous (not least because of the killer squirrels) that I almost gave up on finishing the book altogether.  In that Quarter Quell, there was also an opportunity to develop Haymitch's character that should have been taken, but wasn't.

(End of Spoilers)

Anyway, one of my students at the time convinced me to finish it, and I'm glad I did.  That being said, I want to ensure "Black Swan Origins: Nineveh" is at its absolute best before I get it published. 

No comments:

Post a Comment