Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How Fencing Made Me A Believer In European Weapons' Arts

When I was in college, I did fencing for over a year.  Since people don't carry rapiers anymore, I never thought that I would utilize it in a real fight.  That changed at Elite Krav Maga Academy many months back.  I adapted a move where I feint to one target and circle around to stab another into a slick lateral palm strike-backfist combo.   Brian has excellent striking and I was able to catch him with it twice in a row.  I knew that, if it could work on him, that I was on to something.  That was confirmed earlier tonight when I sparred with Jeremy.

Jeremy is such a dynamic striker that he can clip my chin with his foot and tag me elsewhere before I know what hits me.  Yet I managed to get him multiple times with different variations of this attack.  Using empty-handed techniques, I would feint to his face and attack his body.  Then I would feint to his body and attack his face.  I even adapted the representative snake movement, attacking his arm, but going to his body rather than his face.  Even though I still lost the match, I did better against him than I've ever done.  I didn't get into real trouble until I abandoned the tactic for dragon-style moves, at which point I got my butt handed too me.  At any rate, I've wanted to study the European martial arts since I was in college, weaponry in particular.  Originally, it was just to have accurate swordfights in my book series.  However, now I believe that fencing and other European weapons' arts can be adapted to modern combat.  It will take a lot of study, experimentation, and practice, but I know that I can do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment