Saturday, April 27, 2013

My UFC 159 Predictions

Finally, Jones' time for redemption has come!  This card is strong overall, but I'm really looking forward to see Chael Sonnen go out on his shield and Jon Jones finally doing what he should have done at UFC 151.  This event will bring closure to that whole fiasco and let everyone move on.  Here are my predictions for tonight's fight. 

Bonus prediction: McMann vs. Gaff

I generally don't predict prelim bouts, but I'll make an exception for McMann.  Ronda Rousey is the Muhammad Ali of Women's MMA.  She is extremely talented, good-looking, and entertaining.  At the same time, like her black boxing counterpart, she really overdoes it on the trash-talk.  For that reason, I can't wait until someone beats some respect into her and my gut tells me that that person is McMann.  McMann is humble and soft-spoken and also comes from an Olympic background.  I believe she will take out Gaff en route to being the Joe Frazier that finally knocks Rousey off her high horse.

Winner: McMann by KO in Round 2. 

Miller vs. Healy: I saw Miller and Lauzon burn down the house at UFC 155.  On a six-fight win streak, Healy is no pushover, but I see Miller hanging in there for another decision.

Winner: Miller via decision

Davis vs. Magalhaes: These guys are both such great grapplers that I don't see either man submitting the other.  On paper, Davis is more impressive with his sole professional loss being to Rashad Evans.  However, my gut tells me that Magalhaes is going to pull an upset.

Winner: Magalhaes by decision

Nelson vs. Kongo: This is a no-brainer.  Kongo is a decent heavyweight, but Nelson is on a whole new level.  I see a knockout by Round 2 at the latest.

Winner: Nelson by KO in Round 2.

Bisping vs. Belcher: Normally, I wouldn't pick against "The Count."  Even after his KO loss to Belfort, Bisping is one of the middleweight division's elite gatekeepers.  That being said, Belcher is a lot better than he has been given credit for.  In addition, his skills have improved, in spite of that decision loss to Yushin Okami.  One of these guys is going to bounce back in this fight and in my opinion, it's going to be Belcher.

Winner: Belcher by decision.

Jones vs. Sonnen:  I'm going to be rooting for "The American Gangster" all the way.  I personally feel that he will be the first man to put the light heavyweight king on his back.  Nonetheless, Jones has an insane amount of talent and an unbelievable work ethic.  One day, a man is going to rise up who will defeat Jones (for real - sorry Matt Hamill).  However, I don't believe that man will be Chael Sonnen.

Winner: Jones by submission in Round 3. 

No comments:

Post a Comment