Saturday, February 9, 2013

Wishing I Knew Krav Maga Before I Went To Peace Corps

So far, I have typed up 103 pages of "A Valiant Effort."  It's just more host family drama on Kosrae, so I'll save it for the book.  Suffice it to say that passive-aggressive behavior is extremely irritating. 

At the same time, I am glad that I have been to the School of Hard Knocks.  I had a sheltered life growing up and was a bit of a social recluse, so I didn't experience a lot of negative things until I went away to college and graduated.  Now I am more street smart, and part of it is because of my crash course in the Pacific.  Not to mention that it inspired me to train in martial arts again.

I wish that I knew Krav Maga before I went overseas.  When it came to unarmed combat, karate was more than enough.  That being said, I'm a strong and athletic young man, so most people aren't dumb enough to attack me unarmed.  When I was staring down the barrel of that gun, I froze because I had never prepared for that situation.  My life didn't flash before my eyes or anything.  I only had one thought: "Ah, crap.  Now I'm going to die!" 

Now that I know Krav Maga, I'm more prepared.  Obviously, the key thing is to avoid a situation like that in the first place.  However, if I have no other choice, I know exactly what to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment