Saturday, September 1, 2012

Version 6.0 of Black Swan Origins: Nineveh Complete!

Earlier tonight, I finished Version 6.0 of my novel.  I'm going to let it rest tomorrow, but I will still be working on the series by drawing maps of Nineveh Academy.  In a homage to the UFC, the school's outer wall is going to be shaped like an octagon.  All of the other major details are going to be saved for when the novel debuts. 

As expected, revising a novel is MUCH harder than revising short stories.  However, it is also MUCH more fun!  I get to explore much more of the universe than I could in only 13-15 pages.  I'm now seeing the setting aspect of my book as an exciting challenge rather than a royal pain in the neck.  I'm going to be creative and up the ante on the monsters, spirits, death traps, artifacts, and the school's lore.  After I get that out of my system, I'll settle down and look at the logistics.  Since this is a fantasy novel, I will have a lot more leeway in that regard.  That being said, the tough thing will be to make sure that everything is consistent and true to my world's rules. 

I have also starting reading "Grimm's Fairy Tales" and "The Arabian Nights" for ideas on how to build my world even further.  Every culture needs its own folklore, and Yangvaad is no different.  I am considering studying Russian as well, so that I can use it as the inspiration for the language spoken in Yangvaad.  I'm no linguist like J.R.R. Tolkien, but it would be a huge benefit to the story if each of the four major nations in this trilogy had its own language.  Georgian (the language of the Eastern European country), Spanish, and Arabic will probably be the influences for the other three nations, although that is not set in stone.   

I believe that "Black Swan Origins: Nineveh" will be ready at Version 10.0.  My goal for that is next September, but my current speed, it will probably be several months earlier.  One thing is certain: when it is complete, it will be my absolute best work.  I can't wait to see how my readers will react to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment