Tuesday, May 28, 2013

No More Machida Style For Me

At Kung Fu tonight, I got to spar against Sifu Amanda again.  Now, I'm not a fan of point sparring, but it is excellent training for improving timing and accuracy.  I ended up losing by one point.  No excuses: she won fair and square.  That being said, it taught me several valuable lessons:

1) My defense needs improvement
2) My counter-striking needs improvement
3) I'm not as elusive as I thought I was

Until I improve dramatically in all of those areas, I shouldn't be fighting like Lyoto Machida.  Every martial artist has their own style, and what works for the second best light heavyweight in the world may not necessarily work for me.  I do much better when I go on the offensive, so I am going to change my approach accordingly.  Implementing the advice that she gave me afterwards probably wouldn't hurt either.  At any rate, I definitely need to do something different if I want a better result.  After all, if I am going to compete, I may as well win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment