Saturday, October 12, 2013

Three More Martial Arts Styles Which I Want To Learn Before I Die

I could easily train in martial arts 24/7.  Unfortunately, I have been called to work in a different field, so it will have to be a hobby for me.  For that reason, I have cut the number of additional combat styles that I want to learn down to three.  They are:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu:  With a BJJ black belt, I won't be completely screwed if someone knocks me on my butt.  Not to mention that subbing your training partners is just plain fun.

Wrestling:  This will make it much easier for me to keep an assailant from taking me to the ground.  In addition, I want to learn how to throw someone from the clinch.  That would be safer than going for the legs and taking a knee or 12-6 elbows to the back of my head and neck.     

Capoiera:  As a black man, I want to honor my ancestors by studying a martial art with African roots.  Not only will it improve my striking through teaching me how to attack from different angles, but it will also teach me timing, balance, and how to catch my assailant off-guard. 

Even though the traditional Asian martial arts are a great source of techniques and knowledge, I want to go off the beaten path.  While my Shotokan training has been invaluable, I am satisfied with my first-degree black belt.  I also don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that "my style" is the best, as many traditional martial artists do.  To be a truly great martial artist, you need to study multiple styles.  I may not become the greatest fighter alive, but I am determined to do the best that I can.   

No comments:

Post a Comment