Saturday, September 14, 2013

"The Ultimate Fighter" Episode 2: Always Assume That You Are The Underdog

Did you all think that Julianna Pena stood a chance against Shayna Baszler?  Neither did I!  I didn't even understand why Baszler was in the house.  I thought that the UFC would have signed her directly.  At any rate, when she was paired with Pena, I thought it was game over for the new girl.  My belief was confirmed when she dominated Pena for the first round.

Then I was forced to eat my words in Round 2.

Several key things happened: 1) Pena took Baszler's back 2) Pena got both hooks in.  When this happens, you're in trouble 3)  Pena got the choke.  When this happens, you're in deep trouble 4) When Shayna tried to roll out, Pena flattened her face-first against the mat.  If this ever happens to you, you're doomed!

I went absolutely crazy after this upset.  Since I had tuned in late, I checked out the buildup in OnDemand.  As I caught up on the episode, I realized why Pena won: she took Baszler seriously. 

While Baszler was talking all sorts of trash about Pena, Pena was absolutely terrified of Baszler.  Due to this, Pena did everything she could to make sure that she was ready and showed everyone that she was a force to be reckoned with.  Baszler, on the other hand, thought that she would just walk right through Pena and wound up eating a humble pie the size of a truck tire.  This just shows that, when it comes to fighting, you must always assume that you are the underdog.  Doing so this can be the difference between getting your hand raised and getting choked the heck out!

No comments:

Post a Comment