Saturday, September 21, 2013

My UFC 165 Predictions

Finally, Jon Jones gets to pick on somebody his own size!  I doubt that the outcome will be different, but it should be an awesome fight nonetheless.  Here are my predictions for tonight's PPV.

Healy vs. Nurmagomedov:  I don't believe that Healy is going to be able to submit a Sambo warrior like Nurmagomedov.  At the same time, I think that his experience will be too much for "The Eagle."  I expect an awesome grappling contest that ends with Healy earning a decision victory.

Winner: Pat Healy

Philippou vs. Carmont:  Philippou proved that he is the most underrated middleweight in the UFC by finishing Tim Boetsch last December.  I see him collecting a paycheck by knocking out Carmont in Round 1.  After that, I hope he gets a top-five opponent to see whether he is a contender or a gatekeeper.

Winner: Costa Philippou

Schaub vs. Mitrione: I remember seeing Schaub pound "Big Ben" Rothwell against the cage until one slipup led to him getting his lights put out.  I don't see him getting that sloppy against Mitrione.  I believe "The Hybrid" will KO his opponent in Round 1 and continue to be an exciting lower-tier heavyweight. 

Winner: Brendan Schaub

Barao vs. Wineland: With phenomenal striking and submissions, I don't see anyone beating Barao until Cruz comes back.  Nothing against Wineland, but he is in way over his head in this match.  I see Barao submitting him in Round 2 at the latest.

Winner: Renan Barao.

Jones vs. Gustafsson: As much as I would love to see "The Mauler" pull an upset, that is highly doubtful.  He has a puncher's chance at best, and when Jones gets tired of getting tagged, the champ will probably take it to the mat.  I see Jones outwrestling Gustafsson en route to a submission victory in Round 4.

Winner: Jon Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment