Saturday, December 28, 2013

My UFC 168 Predictions

This is bittersweet for me because this will be the last UFC event that I blog about. This coming January, I will resume my Kung Fu training, which I hope to complement with Brazilian jiu-jitsu training next fall. In addition, I plan to finish my Peace Corps memoir by September 12, 2015 and that will take up the rest of my free time. I will still watch MMA once in a while, but these things must take priority now and they will be the new focus of my blog. With that said, here are my predictions for tonight's awesome card!

Poirier vs. Brandao: The Ultimate Fighter Season 14 winner is swimming with the sharks now. On paper, he doesn't stand a chance against "The Diamond." However, my gut tells me that Brandao is will heart it out and get a decision victory.

Winner: Diego Brandao

Miller vs. Camoes: This is a no-brainer. Miller takes this via submission.

Winner: Jim Miller

Barnett vs. Browne: "Hapa" definitely has heart, power, and is very fast for a guy his size. However, his technique is still somewhat sloppy, and that will get him into trouble against someone as polished and experienced as Barnett. I see "The Warmaster" knocking him out in Round 2 en route to a title eliminator bout against Fabricio Werdum. I would not be surprised, however, if Barnett was allowed to cut in line and face Velasquez next if his performance is impressive enough.

Winner: Josh Barnett

Rousey vs. Tate: This is another no-brainer. Rousey takes this via armbar submission, probably in Round 2 since Tate is a lot more focused. The only credible threat to Rousey's reign, Sara McMann, has dropped off the face of the earth after pulling out of her bout with Sarah Kaufman. Unless McMann reemerges, or more Olympic-caliber athletes enter the women's bantamweight division, that belt will stay around Rousey's waist.

On a side note, I believe that we will see a more mature and respectful Rousey than we did on "The Ultimate Fighter" and that the champ will turn face after her second victory over her rival.

Winner (and not just in the ring): Ronda Rousey

Weidman vs. Silva: Weidman's upset of Silva had more to do with the latter's foolish in-ring antics than the champ's fighting ability. Now that he has earned the respect of "The Spider", Silva will come at him with everything he's got. Silva will regain the title with a knockout in Round 4 at the latest and I suspect that he will keep it for at least another two years before losing it again.

Winner: Anderson Silva

No comments:

Post a Comment